POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Smoke... - ParticleSim.jpg (1/1) : Smoke... - ParticleSim.jpg (1/1) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 09:26:14 EDT (-0400)
  Smoke... - ParticleSim.jpg (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 1 Feb 2000 21:37:48
Message: <chrishuff_99-96B309.21380301022000@news.povray.org>
I have been working on a simple particle simulation for atmospheric
effects like smoke, and here is the first result. At the current stage
it simulates gravity, particle temperature(high temperature particles
rise faster than lower temperature particles, and particles constantly
cool), and wind.
No media was used, just a whole bunch of partly transparent spheres. The
render time is tolerable with smaller amounts of particles, but really
slows down where many are densly packed. And of course, a high
max_trace_level has to be specified.
Parse time is a bigger problem, I tend to get impatient with the speed
of parsing POV simulations. In this case it was about 12 minutes, with
1500 particles and an iteration level of 300(the simulation simulates
the path of the particles by going through several iteration steps,
incrementing the position each time). Of course, that is using MegaPOV
0.4, so it is using the faster macros.
It is animation safe, although I have only done one test animation. The
parse time builds up quickly, but I will try to make it support
MegaPOV's persistant variables, which will help quite a bit.
If there is interest, I will add some finishing touches to the source
and post it. I will probably make a C++ version someday, it will run the
simulation much faster.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom