POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : weird plasma effect (236KB) : Re: weird plasma effect (236KB) Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:31:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: weird plasma effect (236KB)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 1 Feb 2000 19:40:45
Message: <chrishuff_99-91CBDC.19413401022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38977553.2791A938@powersurfr.com>, Noah A
<vip### [at] powersurfrcom> wrote:

> i highly doubt you've ever seen plasma prolly dont even know what it
> really is.
> none the less its cool maby call it effect but not plasma effect

I would be highly surprised if he hasn't seen plasma. Even a normal
flame contains plasma. Neon lights, auroras, and the sun are also
examples of a plasma. Lightning is caused by an electrical discharge
creating a stream of plasma in the air(the actual process is more
complex, of course). If you have ever seen Saint Elmo's fire(I haven't,
but it is a type of corona discharge that happens at the tip of pointed
objects like church towers or ship masts in stormy weather), that is due
to plasma. And those "plasma globes", glass spheres with "lightning"
inside them that is attracted to your hands when you touch the globe,
are also an example of a plasma.

Plasma can look like almost anything, in some ways metals and
semiconductors can be considered plasmas. But the term is usually used
to refer to a gas where electrons have been stripped from their atoms.
Due to electrons being torn away from and recombining with atoms, it
often glows visibly. However, since I can't view this animation, I can't
tell if it looks anything like any kind of plasma.

And the term "plasma" is also used to refer to a kind of fractal. I
don't know why, though...

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom