POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Royal Coachman(trout fly) - Coachman.jpg (1/1) : Re: Royal Coachman(trout fly) - Coachman.jpg (1/1) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 15:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Royal Coachman(trout fly) - Coachman.jpg (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 4 Jan 2000 23:12:00
Message: <chrishuff_99-8E46D2.23120604012000@news.povray.org>
In article <3872bfac@news.povray.org>, "TonyB"
<ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:

> Umm... nice, but to me they don't look like flies. I guess the important
> thing it fooling the fish, so if this does it, great job. :)

Sigh...
They are usually designed to look like an insect or animal the fish uses
as food, such as caddis flies, mayflies, stoneflies(see where the "fly"
part comes from?). These insects don't bear much of a resemblence to
houseflies. And some flies are designed to imitate the aquatic nymphal
or larval forms of the insects, which look *very* different. And some
imitate terrestrial insects that may fall into the water, like
grasshoppers or ants. And some imitate small minnows or prey fish, like
sculpin.
And then there are the variety called attracters, they don't imitate
anything that we know of, they just catch a lot of fish. The royal
coachman and royal wulff are of this variety.

The ones in this image happen to be "dry flies", which float above the
surface of the water using surface tension. There are also wet flies,
which imitate swimming or drifting insects, nymphs, which imitate the
nymphal forms, and streamers, which imitate the baitfish.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom