POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Mega-POV Post-Processing Request : Re: Mega-POV Post-Processing Request Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:17:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-POV Post-Processing Request
From: Chris Huff
Date: 24 Apr 2000 16:55:56
Message: <chrishuff_99-7EC8EC.15585324042000@news.povray.org>
In article <=qAEOc9gmlpxWf8+V87kmu2mtM4W@4ax.com>, Glen Berry
<7no### [at] ezwvcom> wrote:

> I think there was another reason for blurring the negative, in
> addition to worries about film alignment or grain. I think it had to
> do with preserving the high frequency content and "local contrast" of
> the image.

Ah, I see. That way, the smaller features would not be "corrected" out
of the image, but the larger areas would still be affected.

> I'm trying to find some technical reference material on the subject,
> but haven't yet. I've had to work strictly from my personal memory so
> far, but I'd like to find some technical documentation on this
> subject. The internet turns out to be a very poor place to search for
> this information, because practically all the search engine hits refer
> to the Photoshop unsharp mask effect.

I did a search with Sherlock, and found this page:
http://www.ittc.ukans.edu/~jgauch/kuim/contrast/unsharp.html
This might also be relevant:
http://www.computer.org/proceedings/icip97/8183-439.htm

Some other interesting stuff:
http://www.ph.tn.tudelft.nl/Courses/FIP/noframes/fip-Basic.html
http://perso.club-internet.fr/legault/ip.html

> Also, there *are* things in POV-Ray image that could react to this
> process in a way similar to film grain. High frequency content such as
> crand, fine textures, very small objects, and media "graininess" come
> to mind. Without blurring, I think we would be removing, minimalizing,
> or distorting much of the high frequency content in the image. This
> isn't usually a wanted by-product.

Yes, I understand the technique a bit more now.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/