POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : sky : Re: sky Server Time
2 Oct 2024 08:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sky
From: Chris Huff
Date: 21 May 2000 17:36:25
Message: <chrishuff_99-7E0CCB.16400321052000@news.povray.org>
In article <39269252@news.povray.org>, "Mick Hazelgrove"
<mha### [at] redhotantcom> wrote:

> Without knowing exactly what changes were made  from 04 to 05 I
> really can't say in detail. Also as I don't know how the noise
> function used to create patterns is generated I can't tell you what
> parameters I would like to be able to control. All I can say is that
> media clouds are now much softer and whispier than they were in 04.
> If what was changed is now made into a variable we can control ...

The only change was modifying of the range of the noise function so it
fits in the 0-1 range, like it is supposed to. Before, it went outside
the range and was clipped to the 0-1 range, which caused plateus of
solid color in pigments and flat areas in height fields, normals, and
caused big problems in isosurfaces using noise3d().
If you don't want to use the #version flag to get the old version of
noise, you could probably get a similar effect for pigments by using a
section of solid color at each end of the color map, something like this:
color_map {
    [0 color StartCol]
    [0.05 color StartCol]
    [0.95 color EndCol]
    [1 color EndCol]
}

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/