POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : post_process suggestions? : Re: post_process suggestions? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:14:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: post_process suggestions?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 3 May 2000 19:07:35
Message: <chrishuff_99-78D02B.18104603052000@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] linuxparkerrfwicom>,
ron### [at] povrayorg wrote:

> >> -1 0 0
> >>  0 1 0   * .5 + .5
> >>  0 0 0
> >
> >The numbers in the matrix above are correct. I'm not sure about the
> >multiplier and offset modifiers. For me, a vaue of one for the
> >multiplier works, and the offset value should be set to one-half of
> >the maximum possible value. I just tested these, and they work.
>
> A multiplier of 1 can cause clipping at the ends of the range.  The
> two worst-case values of the matrix are -1 (when the upper-left pixel
> is white and the center is black) and 1 (vice-versa.)  To get this range
> into the 0..1 range requires multiplying by .5 and adding .5, as I did.

This sounds like it would best be done as a simple macro using
blur_matrix(which should probably be renamed to "convolution_matrix",
since it can do more than blurring and it seems to be the common name).

> A better way to increase contrast would be to apply the
> filter as I've specified it, then apply an S-curve-shaped correction
> to stretch the midrange.

I have been thinking about this...is there a "standard" curve used for
this, or should I just come up with something?

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/