POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Hot Asphalt (variable ior) : Re: Hot Asphalt (variable ior) Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:13:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hot Asphalt (variable ior)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 29 Apr 2000 10:33:14
Message: <chrishuff_99-75360E.09361929042000@news.povray.org>
In article <390A4CA3.1A5A0F7E@sheayright.com>, Artemia Salina
<y2k### [at] sheayrightcom> wrote:

> Pardon me if this isn't the correct group to bring this up in.
> It probably is if there is no work-around for the effect I want
> to create.
>
> I've been working with media lately, trying to model realistic
> flames and smoke, and while doing so it occured to me that it'd
> be nice to be able to have the ior of a material vary in a controlled
> way. Does anyone know how this can be done (or simulated) in
> MegaPov?
>
> If not, I wonder how difficult it would be to extend MegaPov's
> interior ior to optionally use an ior map, much like the density
> statement for media?

While this would be possible, it wouldn't be easy...it would require
stepping the ray through the object by small distances and evaluating
the refraction at each point. This would be slow, slower than scattering
media with method 1, and would be difficult to code.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/