POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRIDIA (~55kau) : Re: IRIDIA (~55kau) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 08:15:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRIDIA (~55kau)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 25 Feb 2000 07:19:54
Message: <chrishuff_99-7438A1.07211925022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38B64B0C.D255EE9C@iname.com>, Jerome <ber### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> 	I hope so, the story is pretty depressing otherwise... But
> what he says is that we're growing better and better at
> preserving things, which means that less and less are lost
> and left to rediscover :(

I don't know, I have plenty of fun looking through the "archives"(mostly
books and internet resources for me) and learning things which other
people have discovered. Just because something is known doesn't mean it
isn't worth learning...and there is an awful lot of information out
there, there is no way we could store it all.
If we do store a vast amount of information in one place(I mean several
times the size of our largest library), than a new kind of researcher
will have to appear, whose job is to search through and keep organized
this resource. Finding a specific thing in that mass of information
could be nearly as much work as discovering it again.(ok, so I
exaggerated a little. But this effect is already happening on a smaller
scale on the Internet.) AI's would be a big help too, but I don't think
they would be able to handle everything.(no offense intended, Ken. :-) )

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom