POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Pigment patterns in an isosurface? : Re: Pigment patterns in an isosurface? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:13:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pigment patterns in an isosurface?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 3 Feb 2000 18:35:12
Message: <chrishuff_99-715F16.18360403022000@news.povray.org>
In article <3899AA1F.C9FA0F9E@my-dejanews.com>,
gre### [at] my-dejanewscom wrote:

> Actually, the bumps pigment in an isosurface looks more like what I
> want than the noise3d.

They are the exact same thing. They both use the Noise() function to
calculate the result...the only difference is that bumps is calculated
differently in texture normals. You should get the exact same results if
you use either bumps, bozo or spotted in the pigment.

> Is there a way to do mathematical operations on pigments?
>
> I've tried with failure:
>     function { y- pigment {bumps}}
> Should I instead  I do:
>     function {y}- function{pigment {bumps}}
> Or:
>     #declare yikes= function{pigment {bumps}};
>     isosurface {
>         function {y-yikes}

The second one is closest, try
#declare yikes= function{pigment {bumps}};
isosurface {
    function {y - yikes(x, y, z)}
}

I think the (x, y, z) part is a default in the MegaPOV version, but it
has caused trouble for me before and it seems to be a good idea to
include it anyway. It is better for readability, and if you want to
modify the function later, could make it easier.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom