POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lego2 : Re: Lego2 Server Time
2 Oct 2024 12:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lego2
From: Chris Huff
Date: 30 Apr 2000 15:39:55
Message: <chrishuff_99-709CED.14430230042000@news.povray.org>
In article <390c5beb@news.povray.org>, "Rick [Kitty5]"
<kit### [at] dialpipexcom> wrote:

> Heres the latest lego, i have solved the problem of loosing some
> faces as in the previous post, by exporting to a wavfront object
> (.obj) instead of 3ds everything seems to be ok, alos the objects are
> grouped by colour, making texturing much simpler.

Three things I noticed:
First: the faceting is very bad. I don't know if you were just using low
quality settings for test models, but the corners on round parts and
non-smooth shading are quite distracting. Also, I don't see anything
here that wouldn't be done better with CSG than triangle meshes...all of
the geometry looks pretty simple to model.
Second: there aren't any visible seams between the lego parts. This may
just be because you haven't refined the model to that point yet, or they
may be there but are just too small to be visible, it is hard to tell.
Something to think about.
Third: it looks like you forgot to put some refraction on the clear
"headlights", you can see through them without distortion.

> i have come across a potential bug in either moray or povray, if i
> add another lego object as a udo, then manipulate it (ie translate it
> then rotate it slightly) many of the scene objects are positioned
> incorectly, eg all the black objects are rendered in the wrong places
> - i will post an image l8r

It sounds like a Moray problem, I have never heard of this occuring with
POV-Ray...and what is an "udo"?

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/