POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Question about isosurface functions : Re: Question about isosurface functions Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about isosurface functions
From: Chris Huff
Date: 4 Jan 2000 13:20:15
Message: <chrishuff_99-6C6FA0.13202004012000@news.povray.org>
In article <38722fe8@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Juha
<war### [at] punarastascstutfi> wrote:

>   It didn't help.

Hmm, I don't know what's wrong. I tried a few things for myself, and
while it crashes when noise3d is used with no parameters, those
functions render with no trouble...but with no result. Also, these
doesn't work:
#declare f4 = function {x^2+y^2+z^2}
isosurface {function {f4(x, y, z)-1}}

#declare f4 = function {sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)}
isosurface {function {f4(x, y, z)^2-1}}

but these do:
#declare f4 = function {x^2+y^2+z^2}
isosurface {function {sqrt(f4(x, y, z))-1}}

#declare f4 = function {sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)}
isosurface {function {f4(x, y, z)-1}}

However, if you force method 1 solving, everything seems to work fine.
Just add the line "method 1" to the isosurface. Of course, this slows
things down.
Specifying a larger max_gradient(I tried 5) seems to work too. I would
guess maybe it is having trouble calculating the gradient of those
declared functions.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom