POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV questions... : Re: MegaPOV questions... Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV questions...
From: Chris Huff
Date: 10 Jan 2000 18:06:00
Message: <chrishuff_99-673E0A.18061510012000@news.povray.org>
In article <MPG.12e3b9f494f914a9989689@news.povray.org>, rico
<ric### [at] mindspringcom> wrote:

> <smile>  Are there any good tutorials on the web yet?  I went to one that
> is self-described as unfinished.  Are there others?

I am working on one, but it is even less finished than the one by Samuel
T. And besides, it focuses more on the syntax and what isosurfaces are,
rather than how to predict what they will do.
I dont know of any others.

> 	A specific question: can the new pattern and function statements
> be used as normals on standard primitives??  I can't seem to get it to
> work.  Any URLs, tips, etc. appreciated!

"pattern" is designed for the height field object, it really isn't very
useful for anything else, and can't be used as a normal(there really
isn't any reason to do so).
"function" can be used as a pattern, like this:
pigment {function {abs(sin(sqr(x*0.1)))}}
   color_map {
      [0 color Black]
      [1 color White]
   }