POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Visibility pattern test - visibility.JPG (1/1) : Re: Visibility pattern test - visibility.JPG (1/1) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 13:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visibility pattern test - visibility.JPG (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 8 Feb 2000 15:49:02
Message: <chrishuff_99-60A0DD.15492508022000@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] rongwmicrocom>,
ron### [at] povrayorg wrote:

> How about the percentage that hit the object within a specified
> distance?  If the object is a statue of a man on horseback and
> the point is in the center of the base, between the horse's legs,
> lots of rays will hit the horse's body but the area is still quite
> easy to clean.

That would be one way, and would help reduce the effects of just a few
rays that hit and give a wrong result. Another way would be to have the
contribution of each test ray vary depending on the hit distance. Or to
shoot rays in the general direction of the evaluation point from a
position slightly "above" it, and use their distance and normals to
calculate the curvature...

The first two would be easy to implement, I will work on them when I
take a break from my particle simulator.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom