POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : burn baby burn! [400kb] : Re: burn baby burn! [400kb] Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:31:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: burn baby burn! [400kb]
From: Chris Huff
Date: 31 Jan 2000 18:26:57
Message: <chrishuff_99-5E5160.18274331012000@news.povray.org>
In article <389611F2.161B9993@aol.com>, Mike <pov### [at] aolcom> wrote:

> What creates it is a little idea that I got from Enders game-
> that is, a single bomb that can destroy everything on the surface of a
> planet.

(Note: May contain spoilers for people who plan to or are reading
Ender's Game)
I read that book recently(and am now reading it's sequel, Speaker for
the Dead). As I recall, their weapon temporarily removed some of the
forces holding molecules together within a certain area, it was beam
based and had to be focused. Because objects within it's effect were no
longer held together, they expanded into a cloud of dust(which could
then come back together under gravitational pull if there is enough of
it). The disintegration also produced more of the field, so if ships
were close enough together and one of them was hit, the others would go
too.

So the bugger homeworld wasn't consumed by a firey explosion, it just
ballooned into a cloud of dust. Just try to do that in POV. :-)
(An idea: Difference another sphere from the planet sphere to simulate
the effect of the disintegration, and have media-containing spheres
flying outward from the area as though it is dissolving.)

Still, it is a very good animation, the first thing I thought was
"global warming". :-)
It kind of reminded me of the effects of the Genesis device from Star
Trek, except kind of in reverse.(they showed a rocky, lifeless planet
with a very similar wave of fire spreading from the impact point, and
leaving behind greenery and oceans.)

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom