POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Landscape w/ clouds (~60 kb) : Re: Landscape w/ clouds (~60 kb) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 17:14:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Landscape w/ clouds (~60 kb)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 22 Jan 2000 19:23:44
Message: <chrishuff_99-5A9F14.19241822012000@news.povray.org>
In article <388A453B.C0CDC4E7@ida.utb.hb.se>, sa9### [at] idautbhbse
wrote:

> Bjoern Jaeger wrote:
>
> > Do you also have the problem with the clouds getting black in the
> > distance ?
>
> This sounds like the classical max_trace_level problem. Just increase it
> to 500
> or whatever - that should remove the artifacts you're experiencing. (Look
> it up
> in the docs for more info)

It isn't...it happens because the samples get spread out more and more
as they get farther and the angle they intersect the cloud box
increases. This can be fixed by making transparent vertical partitions
to force more intervals to be made. Of course, this also means you may
have to increase max_trace_level to get the ray past the partitions.

There is also a patch to fix the problem, which gives a keyword to
control the distance allowed between samples(or was it the maximum
distance before a new interval was started?), but I can't find anything
in the MegaPOV docs about it so it may not be included. I think it was
something like max_distance or max_interval_length. There were some
posts about it a while back, about the same subject(media clouds), and
it was created to solve the problem with media clouds. Sorry I don't
have more info on it...

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom