POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : My personal wishlist : Re: My personal wishlist Server Time
2 Sep 2024 16:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My personal wishlist
From: Chris Huff
Date: 25 Feb 2000 19:29:12
Message: <chrishuff_99-591A71.19303925022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38B711FF.1E959678@peak.edu.ee>, Margus Ramst
<mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote:

> Some wishes arising from my current projects:
>
> Dynamic arrays. In POV, arrays are the best way to acces large
> datasets, but the size of the array has to be declared before any
> data is inserted. The thing is, you often don't know how much data
> will be generated. And manually resising a 100,000 element array is
> inefficient, to say the least.

Or list and maybe binary tree structures. I actually started on a list
patch, but realized it was out of my range after looking at the array
code. Append, resize, and insert functions for an array should be fine,
but how would multiple dimensions be handled? Maybe a dynamic_array
which behaves like a C++ STL vector.(If you are not familiar with this,
it is an object type, a container class which is basically a dynamic
one-dimensional array. It includes functions for appending, inserting,
etc)

Maybe also a kind of "pointer". With the appropriate saveguards against
accessing memory it shouldn't, of course.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom