POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Blurred Transparence patch : Re: Blurred Transparence patch Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:19:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred Transparence patch
From: Chris Huff
Date: 27 Jan 2000 07:17:42
Message: <chrishuff_99-58D06B.07182327012000@news.povray.org>
In article <38900ad0@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Juha
<war### [at] punarastascstutfi> wrote:

>   Does it work well with ior? What about fading_distance etc?

Those shouldn't cause a problem, since the same calculations are used,
just repeated several times with a bit of jitter and the results
averaged. It might also work with photons and should work with motion
blur. Since the same standard POV functions are used by my code,
everything else should work as it has before.

There is a slight difference from the way the blurred reflection patch
works. The blurred reflection patch jittered the normal to the surface,
and then used the jittered normal to calculate the reflection direction.
Doing this for the blurred transparency patch would make the blur
dependant on the ior of the object, so I wrote the transparency patch to
calculate the direction and then jitter it(keeping a "backup" of the
calculated direction). This might also be a bit faster, since the
direction calculation doesn't have to be done for each sample. Probably
not a significant difference, and probably more than cancelled out by
the other calculations of transparent textures, but faster than it would
have been.

BTW, my plastic ring demo image has an ior, you can see it's effects at
the edges.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom