POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Dumb idea (?): Trees : Re: Dumb idea (?): Trees Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dumb idea (?): Trees
From: Chris Huff
Date: 11 Jan 2000 17:08:13
Message: <chrishuff_99-582EE2.17083011012000@news.povray.org>
In article <387ba7f6@news.povray.org>, "Jan Walzer"
<nos### [at] informatikuni-hallede> wrote:

> hmmm ... but am I right, about the rendertime ...
> I've thougt about the last night, and found that therefore the "steps in
> the
> media" (or how was it called) have to be massivly increased, to get all
> the
> branches of a high-detailed tree, don't they?
> The standard for this is AFAIK 10 steps, and how can this make a good
> tree ?

I really think the best use of a density pattern to make a tree or grass
would be in an isosurface, which is actually slightly similar to media
in some ways. And their render speed is usually quite tolerable,
although complex ones with a lot of very small details can be slow.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom