POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Collision detection : Re: Collision detection Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Collision detection
From: Chris Huff
Date: 14 Jan 2000 12:32:05
Message: <chrishuff_99-57DE98.12322514012000@news.povray.org>
In article <387f5a27@news.povray.org>, "TonyB"
<ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:

> You can also use hf_height_at.

You could, I think that patch was also included in MegaPOV. But it seems
to just be redundant to me, and nowhere near as versatile/flexible as
trace().

With trace(), you can easily set up your placement algorithm, and if you
decide you want to have a box embedded into your height field, you could
just use a union of the box and height field. With hf_height_at, you
would have to manually check for intersection with the box, and would
probably end up using trace() anyway. And if you decide to use an
isosurface instead of a height field, hf_height_at is useless.

Also,  trace() can give the normal of a surface, which can be useful in
the realistic placement of objects.

But you are right, I had forgotten about that patch, and it can be used
if you are only using a height field and if you know you will always be
using a height field.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom