POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Visibility pattern test - visibility.JPG (1/1) : Re: Visibility pattern test - visibility.JPG (1/1) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 07:08:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visibility pattern test - visibility.JPG (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 7 Feb 2000 20:11:00
Message: <chrishuff_99-54213E.20115807022000@news.povray.org>
In article <elOfON+7XaP2yN5=Ux51qWrwPoaQ@4ax.com>, Peter Popov
<pet### [at] usanet> wrote:

> In your code I don't see any limit on the direction the sample rays
> are shot. I think it would be useful if one could specify a maximum
> angle that the sample rays can form with the plane tangent to the
> evaluated point. The minimum should of course be 0 because for all
> angles below that the sample rays will hit the surface infinitesimally
> close to the evaluated point. And the maximum angle is needed to save
> the overhead of taking samples straight up when the greatest slope on
> the surface is 1/1000. I hope I explained this well, I will illustrate
> it with an image if you want.

Yes, I am planning on adding those sort of controls later. This was just
my first working version...there is actually code for part of it(minimum
angle) that is currently commented out and a bit incomplete. This will
probably be the first thing I do when I get back to working on this
patch(I am currently working on a particle simulator, in C++).

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom