POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Inverse Transformations patch : Re: Inverse Transformations patch Server Time
2 Sep 2024 06:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inverse Transformations patch
From: Chris Huff
Date: 24 Apr 2000 21:59:47
Message: <chrishuff_99-50A0BD.21024524042000@news.povray.org>
In article <3904F3D5.CF178365@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> So if I had an object at <-1,0,-1> the inverse tranformation would now
> locate the object to <1,0,1> ?

No. The inverse transform moves the point in a way that would undo the
transform. The inverse transform of "translate <-1, 0,-1>" would be
"translate < 1, 0, 1>", but the point being transformed doesn't matter.
The inverse of rotate x*45 is rotate -x*45, the inverse of scale 0.5 is
scale 2, and I don't feel like trying to invert a matrix right now. It
gets more complex with multiple transforms in a row, I think you have to
reverse each one and also reverse their order. The inverse transform
patch makes this juggling of transforms unnecessary.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/