POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ad Nauseum : Re: Ad Nauseum Server Time
2 Oct 2024 22:28:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ad Nauseum
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Apr 2000 20:24:16
Message: <chrishuff_99-4CFD6C.19265613042000@news.povray.org>
In article <0hncfs47vo5li2rhk2rb1tlp4roebecl28@4ax.com>, David
Wilkinson <dav### [at] cableinetcouk> wrote:

> >Yup. Ablative (of circumstance) for the first person feminine.
> >
> Wow! I thought that was the word for those tiles they put on the outside
> of re-entry vehicles.

From my copy of the Standard Encyclopedic Dictionary:

ablative  adj. Gram.
In some inflected languages, as Latin and Sanskrit, pertaining to a case
expressing separation, position, motion from, instrumentality, etc. --
n. 1. The ablative case.  2. A word in this case.

You can see why it is used to describe a material intended to remove
heat by vaporizing away...here is what the WWWebster
Dictionary(http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary) says:

Main Entry: 2ab?la?tive
Pronunciation: a-'blA-tiv
Function: adjective
Date: circa 1569
1 : of or relating to ablation
2 : tending to ablate <ablative material on a nose cone>
- ab?la?tive?ly adverb

And here is the definition of "ablate"
Main Entry: ab?late
Pronunciation: a-'blAt
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): ab?lat?ed; ab?lat?ing
Etymology: Latin ablatus (pp. of auferre to remove), from ab- + latus,
past participle of ferre -- more at UKASE, BEAR, TOLERATE
Date: 1542
transitive senses : to remove especially by cutting, abrading, or
evaporating
intransitive senses : to become ablated; especially : VAPORIZE 1

Ok, so I was bored. :-)

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/