POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Another post_process idea : Re: Another post_process idea Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:17:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another post_process idea
From: Chris Huff
Date: 29 Apr 2000 10:08:05
Message: <chrishuff_99-439477.09110929042000@news.povray.org>
In article <390abfe6@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   That's right, but I was referring to the coloring function only.

Coloring function? You mean filters that only adjust the colors? Some of
those would depend on multiple pixels too.
Filters are applied in order...you can't do 1-pixel filters first and
only save the data in a file if a filter like blur is used. You would
have to add a completely different filtering system to the code, it
would make code maintenance and filter coding harder, and would really
not have much of a benefit.
I really don't see the problem with the file caching idea...it is used
for photon mapping, radiosity, etc. It is also what is used in image
editing programs. I would like to see it extended to allow load_file and
save_file, so the render doesn't have to be redone every time...the size
really only becomes a problem on large render sizes with every possible
filter, something that would be quite rare. Most filters only require
color information, and only the necessary data is saved. If space is so
tight that you can't have a program generate a temporary file about
10.5MB (1024*768*(5*2-byte color components + one 4-byte depth
component, color and depth seem to be the most commonly used)), I
suggest you clean out your hard drive. :-)

> The other filters will still need data from the whole image, but
> hopefully not that much.

?
They will still need all the data they needed before...and if one
multi-pixel filter is used, all of the filters would have to be done the
way things currently are done.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/