POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : More SUGGESTIONS :-) : Re: More SUGGESTIONS :-) Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:14:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More SUGGESTIONS :-)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 17 Feb 2000 05:48:10
Message: <chrishuff_99-3AE5EA.05492317022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38abca64@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Juha
<war### [at] sarakerttunencstutfi> wrote:

> Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] koppcom> wrote:
> : Second, what do you do if you can see an object _through_ another
> : object.
>
>   Well, I think that it could be implemented anyways. The documentation
>   could
> state that "this feature may not work well with transparent objects" or
> something like that.
>   After all, this feature will likely to be used in situations where the
> non-antialiased object is directly seen from the camera (like sky spheres
> with granite pigment simulating a starfield, etc).
>   And if media is not antialiased (because there's a starry sky behind
>   it),
> does it matter? AFAIK media doesn't need antialiasing.

One solution would be to trace one ray, if it hits an object, check that
object for a flag that tells whether or not to supersample it, and fire
additional samples based on that information. This would be done at each
level. It should work correctly with transparency and media, although it
should probably be turned off when "global" anti-aliasing is turned on.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom