POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Collision detection : Re: Collision detection Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Collision detection
From: Chris Huff
Date: 14 Jan 2000 10:57:05
Message: <chrishuff_99-3A7885.10572614012000@news.povray.org>
In article <387f44f4@news.povray.org>, "Tom Melly"
<tom### [at] tomandluforce9couk> wrote:

> hmm, I was more thinking of, for example, being able to place random rocks
> on the surface of a heightfield by detecting when you'd hit the y value of
> the hf at a particular x and z location.

For that, you need a patched version of POV that has the trace()
function. This function lets you trace rays within the scene file, so
you can just trace a ray straight down from the rocks xz location to get
the right y distance. MegaPOV has this function.
http://nathan.kopp.com/patched.htm
The only other way I know of would be to use an external program to get
the color values and calculate the correct height at each point by hand.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom