POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Isosurface feature request : Isosurface feature request Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurface feature request
From: Chris Huff
Date: 30 Dec 1999 16:15:57
Message: <chrishuff_99-350555.16165130121999@news.povray.org>
If my eval_pattern() function is added to MegaPov, I think it would also
be a good idea to add it as an isosurface function. I have a feeling
that evaluating the pattern directly could be much faster than
evaluating the pigment, but I don't know the isosurface code well enough
to add a function.

Another advantage could be the increased precision, aren't color_maps
limited to 255 levels of color?

An alternative would be to add the ability to call the patterns as
functions, this would require adding a function for each pattern, but
Might be even faster. There probably isn't a significant difference in
speed, though. And patterns which take parameters would have to have
more than the normal 3(x, y, and z), so you couldn't use the usual
pattern syntax. And some patterns(like my object pattern) have a syntax
which would look pretty strange used as a function.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom