POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : little feature request : Re: little feature request Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: little feature request
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Dec 1999 15:16:29
Message: <chrishuff_99-2C9382.15165813121999@news.povray.org>
In article <slr### [at] rongwmicrocom>,
ron### [at] povrayorg wrote:

> On 13 Dec 1999 10:00:22 -0500, ingo wrote:
> >Would it be possible to change trace(), so that it, next to the normal,
> >also
> >returns the colour of the hit point?
>
> It would, but in keeping with my usual principle of making things as
> flexible
> as possible, I'd prefer to see this functionality implemented as a
> separate
> function that returns the color of a given texture at a given location,
> since
> then it's not tied to an actual object.  I know that that patch has been
> written, more than once, so I'm surprised it's not in MegaPOV.

I have written an eval_pigment() function that returns the color of a
pigment at a certain point. This might do what you want, but you have to
know the pigment used on the object, and it is limited to pigment.

Making a function that acts like trace, but returns the color of a point
taking lighting into account would probably not be possible, because the
lighting could depend on parts of the scene not processed yet.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom