POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Help on comming up with keyword name : Re: Help on comming up with keyword name Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:15:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help on comming up with keyword name
From: Chris Huff
Date: 9 Jan 2000 18:35:14
Message: <chrishuff_99-2BCC4E.18352709012000@news.povray.org>
In article <38791738@news.povray.org>, "omniVERSE" <inv### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

> Not useful?  Might be an understatement there.  Imagine the one scene
> (call it
> an included scene) doing things while the main scene is rendering it in
> as a
> sphere or box or what have you and being dynamically linked, most useful
> in animation.

I meant that having it be a portal to a separate scene file wouldn't be
any more useful than being a portal to another part of the main scene.
You could make it "link" to a portion of the scene that is out of sight
instead.

> Not really pigment or texture anyway is this?  I mean, could be a
> objectless entity right?

Well, it requires an object to define the area the portal occupies, and
making it a pigment type like image_map makes it a lot more
versatile(you can use it in texture_maps to make the portal irregularly
transparent, and turbulence might be interesting.
For my version I had been thinking of an "is_portal" attribute for
objects. This would have been a lot more limiting.

A couple more possibilities for the name:
ray_transform (This one is very precisely descriptive of the process,
but doesn't give a good idea of what it actually does. I don't care for
it much.)
magic_mirror
looking_glass

--