POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Isosurface feature request : Re: Isosurface feature request Server Time
2 Sep 2024 14:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface feature request
From: Chris Huff
Date: 31 Dec 1999 09:30:08
Message: <chrishuff_99-273CA9.09310431121999@news.povray.org>
In article <386c87de@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Juha
<war### [at] punarastascstutfi> wrote:

> Chris Huff <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> : Another advantage could be the increased precision, aren't color_maps
> : limited to 255 levels of color?
>
>   Says who?

I don't know. Which is why I didn't state it as a fact. :-)
I know they are limited to 255 entries, but I don't know how much
precision a float value derived from a color_map would have. I haven't
taken a close look at that part of the code. But the patterns can return
double precision values, and they don't have to interpret a color_map to
do so. This makes slightly less flexibility, you can't alter the
waveform with a color_map, but could be a lot faster.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom