POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : patterned_blur filter - pattern_blur.jpg (1/1) : Re: patterned_blur filter - pattern_blur.jpg (1/1) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 12:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: patterned_blur filter - pattern_blur.jpg (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 28 Apr 2000 15:29:05
Message: <chrishuff_99-22E98E.14320828042000@news.povray.org>
In article <3909d6eb@news.povray.org>, "Bob Hughes"
<per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote:

> Oops, my mistake.  Wasn't thinking "post-process" entirely. I got it
> in my mind this was a type of thing where you specify color mapping
> to apply the effect.  Akin to HF and such things where the color
> value makes the change.

That is the way it works...it is just a post_process blur filter where
the amount of blur is controlled by a pigment.

> What I'm confused about is about the contribution the scene itself makes.
> That only gets affected it appears and does not do the actual effect?

The image of the scene gets blurred...but the amount of blur does not
depend on the scene, just on a pigment.

> If I'm not confusing you now, what I see when looking at it seems
> to be using a normal on a plane having the 'spotted' pattern and a ior in
> just those few places instead of throughout.  I realize this isn't the
> case.

It is a blurring effect where the amount of blur is controlled by a
"bozo" pattern. It has a sharp cutoff(partly because of the "plateaus"
of the pattern), so it looks like drops instead of just blurry areas.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/