POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Problem with textobject. : Re: Problem with textobject. Server Time
3 Oct 2024 07:09:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problem with textobject.
From: Chris Huff
Date: 4 Feb 2000 15:33:46
Message: <chrishuff_99-1CFE85.15343804022000@news.povray.org>
In article <389AE2C2.30701F15@pacbell.net>, lin### [at] povrayorg
wrote:

> Now if we take what we learned above it becomes apparent that the text
> object in it's own right requires quite a few calculations to represent
> properly. If we now use the text object in a CSG operation we add greatly
> to the number of ray intersection tests needed which consequently adds to
> the render time of the scene it is used in.

Also, the text object is differenced from a plane. Since a plane is
infinite, the combination of plane - text object is tested for every
pixel. If you used a large box instead of a plane, you would probably
notice a big increase in rendering speed, since the object can be
bounded so it is only tested for in a specific area. To possibly get
even more of a speedup, use a separate box for the area with the text
object differenced from it, and surround it with other boxes to create a
seamless floor.(confining the area with the text object CSG to as small
an area as possible)

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom