POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : some special kind of glass (sorry, I don't know the english word for it...); : Re: some special kind of glass (sorry, I don't know the english word for it...); Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: some special kind of glass (sorry, I don't know the english word for it...);
From: Chris Huff
Date: 24 Apr 2000 14:29:06
Message: <chrishuff_99-1363B8.13320324042000@news.povray.org>
In article <39048d24@news.povray.org>, "Wolfgang Illmeyer"
<wol### [at] gmxnet> wrote:

> I'd like to produce some kind of street lamp, but it has some special
> kind of glass, I can't produce...
> You should not be able to look through it, it should have a white
> color, and it should let the light through. And if there's light on
> the other side of the glass shining in the camera's direction, it
> should be visible on the glass.... (This glass is used in these
> detective-films, for example; maybe you know these office-doors with
> the white glass and the black text on it....)

This isn't the best group to ask about this, you would get a better
response by asking in povray.newusers or povray.advanced-users.
Anyway, this sounds like ground glass. There are several ways you could
do it, here are the three that I can think of right now:
1: Use a normal scaled very small and a partially transparent pigment,
and use high anti-aliasing settings. This can be hard to get right,
though.
2: Use a mostly opaque texture, but use double_illuminate. This requires
MegaPOV, though.
3: Instead of a texture, use a thin media container with a scattering
media. This can be slow, especially if you don't use method 3 from
MegaPOV, but would probably give the best results.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/