POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Need Milli-POV : Re: Need Milli-POV Server Time
2 Oct 2024 14:12:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need Milli-POV
From: Chris Huff
Date: 25 Apr 2000 17:23:24
Message: <chrishuff_99-1347B6.16262325042000@news.povray.org>
In article <3905FCC7.A71197DD@ibm.net>, Andrew Clinton
<cli### [at] ibmnet> wrote:

> Pov has lots of great features and creates some amazing images, but my
> biggest request for a future version would be to have a fast scanline
> renderer working alongside the raytracer, even if this renderer did not
> support many of the standard Pov features.  This would likely solve many
> of my preview/animation speed problems.
>
> Of course, I have no idea how much work this would be for the Pov-Team!

POV-Scan? :-)
It would be a tremendous amount of work...first, you would have to
tesselate all of the primitives. This is impossible for some of
them...and you would have to add tesselation parameters to the language
for all the objects. You would also have to make a completely new
scan-line rendering engine, not much could be reused. And adding a
rendering feature would be at least twice as much work...maintenance
would be quite a bit more difficult.

It would be possible to make a raytracing "preview mode" with no
lighting and simplified shading, and maybe simple depth cuing, maybe
only rendering the bounding shapes, but this is really not very
necessary with the quality level adjustment available.

--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom
Personal Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/