POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Speeding up blurred reflection : Re: Speeding up blurred reflection Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speeding up blurred reflection
From: Chris Huff
Date: 2 Feb 2000 07:48:53
Message: <chrishuff_99-0F2544.07494302022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38980693@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Juha
<war### [at] punarastascstutfi> wrote:

>   There should be a max_trace_level that could be applied to the blurred
> reflection. After it's reached, only regular reflection would be used
> (I think that the blurred refraction patch uses this method). Also a
> adc_bailout value for blurred reflection could be good.

Both of these are already implemented. They are reflection_blur_max and
reflection_blur_max_adc, in global_settings. My transparency patch has
similar controls.

>   A more advanced method could be something like: The first reflection is
> calculated with all the specified 20 samples, the second reflection could
> use only 10 samples, the third 5 samples, and so on. The decrease factor
> could be user-specified.

I have been thinking about this, something like a depth_blur_scale or
something. I don't think it would be terribly useful, though, and
setting the max blur level to 2 or 3 is usually enough.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom