POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Suggestions for MegaPov : Re: Suggestions for MegaPov Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestions for MegaPov
From: Chris Huff
Date: 15 Feb 2000 15:55:49
Message: <chrishuff_99-0E72FC.15565915022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38a97257@news.povray.org>, "Nathan Kopp" <Nat### [at] Koppcom>
wrote:

> This would be more memory efficient, to be sure.  It might be slower
> (due to more render-time transformation calculations), but if done
> properly, it shouldn't be too bad, and the option could exist to
> expand all references for speed reasons if the computer has lots of
> memory.

Hmm, although the transformations would slow things down slightly, they
might prevent some people from having to go to virtual memory, so it
could in some cases be faster.

Now that I have thought about it more, it shouldn't be too hard to
implement even in the C source. Just add a flag to each object
specifying the storage method, maybe add a counter of objects using the
data, and make some small modifications in the functions which copy and
destroy the objects. Make sure the data isn't destroyed if an object is
using it. And of course modify the object data structures and the code
which uses them so they can share data.
I don't really have the time to look at the source right now, though, so
I am just going by memory...I am too busy with my particle simulator, a
couple other potential projects, learning the MacZoop application
framework, thinking of learning more Java, and of course school. :-(
I am beginning to wish days could have 36 hours...although I am sure
school would just take more of them...

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom