POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Poly is slower in megapov than in the official pov? : Re: Poly is slower in megapov than in the official pov? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poly is slower in megapov than in the official pov?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 15 Feb 2000 06:51:16
Message: <chrishuff_99-0478E8.06522615022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38a91600@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Juha
<war### [at] sarakerttunencstutfi> wrote:

>   I noticed that most things are #defined as integer constant in the
>   povray source code. For example:
> and so on.
>
>   Perhaps it could be worth trying with an enum type instead? This way:

MegaPOV already uses an enum, look in pattern.h:

enum PATTERN_IDS
{
  NO_PATTERN = 0,
  PLAIN_PATTERN,
  AVERAGE_PATTERN,
  BITMAP_PATTERN,

>   This also makes it easier to add new types (the numeration changes
> automatically as needed), so if nothing else, it's worth because of that.

It certainly does, having to renumber many of the entries just to add
one thing was quite annoying...
I think any possible speed increase would be heavily compiler dependant,
though.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom