POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shield Technology [19KB] : Re: Shield Technology [19KB] Server Time
3 Oct 2024 09:27:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shield Technology [19KB]
From: Chris Huff
Date: 3 Feb 2000 18:43:27
Message: <chrishuff_99-02D3FA.18441903022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38998f02@news.povray.org>, "Justin Whitton"
<jus### [at] bigfootcom> wrote:

> I didn't see the proximity pattern when I did my glance through of
> features in MegaPov 0.4. I could have saved myself all that coding by
> using the proximity pattern as a pigment function in an ISO surface
> to get exactly what I was after. (I was trying to get a real surface
> around the object, although the proximity pattern will do when I only
> need an apparent surface created from media.) Time to do a speed
> check and to see if I understand the proximity docs properly.

I still haven't done a test of using the proximity pattern in an
isosurface, I am a bit afraid of how slow it might be.
One thing, media doesn't require as many proximity samples as an
ordinary texture, since things get smoothed out along the media samples.
An isosurface would probably need it as smooth(many samples) as possible
for the solver to make any sense of things.

And your trace() + mesh technique certainly has possibilities...don't
give up on it yet. :-)

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom