POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PIP tesselation [about 50Kbu] : Re: PIP tesselation [about 50Kbu] Server Time
16 Aug 2024 10:18:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PIP tesselation [about 50Kbu]
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 21 Feb 2002 18:55:28
Message: <chrishuff-FAA8D4.18551821022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c752dc7$1@news.povray.org>, "Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk>
wrote:

> I must say, I find it kind of strange. There are errors in all examples of
> the tesselated POV-LOGO. Will the marching triangle algoritm solve this
> problem?

You need to generate points on the surface of the object. All these
methods can "miss" sharp edges and points...there is no way to tell them
you need points at the tip of a cone, you will need to use a special
algorithm for cones or just use such a high resolution mesh that the
errors are invisible.

> There exsist other algoritms - I'm not able to understand such high
> mathematics, but have you read the various good explanations on the Internet
> about (for example) Delaunay triangulation? It's widely used. I never heard
> of marching cubes/triangles before.

As far as I can tell (I can't find any clear explanations of it), it
takes a group of points as input and produces a surface from them. A
surface, not necessarily the surface that produced the points. And you
still have the problem of generating the points on edges.

> Wouldn't it be easier to adapt an already written sourcecode in C ?

Not really, because the POV patch will have to use existing data types
and code in POV-Ray. Having source code would make it easier to write
though.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/