POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 'project' pattern (10k) : Re: 'project' pattern (10k) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'project' pattern (10k)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 13 Jan 2001 17:30:15
Message: <chrishuff-F88667.17314613012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3A60C06B.2591866A@gmx.de>, Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> referring to the discussion in povray.newusers, i tried to make a pattern
> testing if there is something 'above' the evaluated point.

This looks very similar to a simple version of a "visibility" pattern I
was working on once. I used multiple samples to allow a blurred result,
and my pattern was mainly to be used for a curvature pattern to make
things like "patina" in concave areas on a copper sculpture.
The proximity pattern could probably be used for this too, using the
sample_weighting feature (though I'm not sure that made it into
MegaPOV). Both of these would be very slow, though.

The "project" keyword doesn't seem very intuitive, though...maybe it
should be added to the "object" pattern instead. Or "visibility". :-)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><