POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : URGENT: FRAME structure : Re: URGENT: FRAME structure Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: URGENT: FRAME structure
From: Chris Huff
Date: 21 Aug 2000 16:49:16
Message: <chrishuff-F69859.15503521082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39A1794B.76E9040D@ida.utb.hb.se>, sa9### [at] idautbhbse
wrote:

> Well, that's another side of the story (?). I believe some sort of
> export function that wrote a target file in a target format should be
> a better solution, as that wouldn't require as strict syntax as
> required by an external parser. I guess that POV's inner
> representation of an object is easier to export than it is for an
> external program to rebuild the object from reading a scene file
> written by a user, as there are as many ways of indenting and coding
> as there are users. A lot of data could also get lost that way, I
> suppose.

Indenting and spacing aren't a problem, the parser ignores white space
in most cases. And while an exporting feature in POV would solve the
parsing problem, most formats store polygons or triangles, so you would
still have the problem of tesselating the objects. And exporting
textures, interiors, and object flags would be difficult.
If you exported to another format and converted back to POV, you
wouldn't get the same thing. You would probably end up with higher parse
time, a huge or obviously faceted mesh, higher memory consumption, and
your texturing and other information would disappear.

And besides, POV is a renderer, not a file converter. Allowing it to
read other formats would make sense, but writing may not.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><