POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Clay Piranha WIP1 (34kbbu) : Re: Clay Piranha WIP1 (34kbbu) Server Time
19 Aug 2024 04:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Clay Piranha WIP1 (34kbbu)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 1 Mar 2001 21:03:42
Message: <chrishuff-F320E5.21020101032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a9ecbf4@news.povray.org>, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> It sounds to me like a displacement pattern value will displace the
> surface in a specific direction rather than displacing it in the
> direction of the surface normal (or vnormalized gradient vector).
> That makes me think that it is not useful for displacing a surface by
> a specific and detailed 3D solid pattern. Is that correct? Maybe
> there's another method for handling this?

Correct, it works more like the first type of displace warp (which
actually may be a more efficient way of doing it...), pushing the
surface in a direction depending only on it's position.
I'm not sure what you mean by "displacing a surface by a specific and
detailed 3D solid pattern", could you explain what you want?

Maybe another type of displace warp, using the gradient to determine the
direction of displacement, and another pattern to define the amount of
displacement. Also, the ability to use a spline as a "float_map" instead
of a pigment.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><