POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The form : Re: The form Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:20:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The form
From: Chris Huff
Date: 26 Aug 2000 12:30:15
Message: <chrishuff-F0D537.11314226082000@news.povray.org>
In article <39a77a45@news.povray.org>, "GrimDude"
<vos### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> Examine the approach distance for this probe. :)  At such a distance
> I would think Earth was not very complex, either.

I found some other images on the www.nasa.gov web site which showed a
lot more variation. Actually, they looked a lot like Jupiter, I had to
double-check to make sure I was looking at Saturn. :-)
They may have been false-color and enhanced, though...

> Yet, both of these planets are huge. Jupiter, it has been postulated,
> is composed of ammonium gases and such. Perhaps, under those dense
> cloud layers and perpetual storms, there is a sea of petroleum.

Actually, I don't think either Jupiter or Saturn has liquid hydrocarbons
at the core...I remember it as semi-liquid hydrogen surrounding a layer
of metallic hydrogen.(yes, hydrogen can be metallic under some
conditions...)

> Contemplate; what form would life take there? Now, render that! :)

Probably would have to use the blob object or some isosurface... :-)

> What I am trying to get at, is that a working texture should be
> functional even upon (near) full immersion. You can't 'get involved'
> with an image_map. It's two dimensional. :)

I have an idea for a good image: a gas giant probe which floats in the
atmosphere, above the storms.

> I have a book NASA published on images they've obtained over the years.
> Fascinating stuff, it includes all the planets (most of their moons),
> and speculation on Pluto (binary, or singular snowball?). Come to
> think of it, I haven't seen that book in a while! :(

Sounds pretty old...Pluto is known to have a nitrogen-methane atmosphere
and a moon half it's size(Charon).

--
Christopher James Huff

<><