POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Proximity pattern in Normal? : Re: Proximity pattern in Normal? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 14:32:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proximity pattern in Normal?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 12 Mar 2001 15:16:10
Message: <chrishuff-F09A95.15120512032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3aad1701@news.povray.org>, Geoff Wedig
<wed### [at] darwinepbicwruedu> wrote:

> I didn't think it would. I only added it because it kept saying "Normal
> type not defined"

Because you were specifying a float value when it expected a normal
pattern or normal identifier.

> I know.  I was trying to take a pigment I made with a proximity and
> use it in the normal instead.  I knew I'd have to jiggle the
> variables, but since it didn't work at all...

Well, of course it didn't...you have to do more than "jiggle the
variables", you have to use a completely different type. Don't expect to
be able to use an object as a color, either.

> In fact, this is the problem.  When I changed to a slope map, it worked.
> didn't do what I wanted,

I would be surprised if it did...you are still using the wrong type. The
slope_map takes a 2D vector...when you specify a float, the same value
is used for both components when it is automatically promoted to a 2D
vector, for example, 0.5 is promoted to < 0.5, 0.5>...which is pretty
much useless in slope_maps. The first component is "height", and the
second is "slope". POV uses a spline based on this information to figure
out the slope of the pattern at in-between values, and get an equivalent
to a "color_map" for normals. A normal_map behaves more like a
pigment_map than a color_map, it interpolates between complete normals,
each with it's own pattern and other normal stuff.
If you stated what your goal is, you might better help...however, I
suggest you look through the manual, which clearly explains the syntax
of normals, normal_maps, and slope_maps...especially look at section
2.7.2, which is a tutorial about normals, and section 4.7.2, which is a
complete syntax reference for normals.

> but it didn't crash. ;)

Wait, it crashed before? That's not good, it means there is a bug
somewhere...it should just stop parsing and produce an error message.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><