POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : The right way to patch POV-Ray? : Re: The right way to patch POV-Ray? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:40:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The right way to patch POV-Ray?
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Dec 2002 11:33:15
Message: <chrishuff-EA6C30.11282624122002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e0886d6$1@news.povray.org>,
 "George Pantazopoulos" <the### [at] attbicom*KILLSPAM*> wrote:

>     What are the guidelines for patching POV-Ray in the cleanest possible
> way? I would like my patch to cause as few conflicts as possible with other
> patches that exist or may be released,

Usually, people put something like "#define MyPatch" in frame.h, and
enclose patch-specific code in #ifdef blocks, so removing that define
makes POV compile without your patch, and the modifications you make are
clearly visible.

> Also, I need to learn how to use diff to be able to release my patch.

No you don't. Just listing the changes is enough, if you are clear about
where they go.

> Can anyone point me to a tutorial?

"man diff"?
What system are you developing on? It looks like you are posting on a
Windows machine...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/