POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 : Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5 Server Time
2 Oct 2024 12:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Noise3d and Megapov 0.5
From: Chris Huff
Date: 29 Jun 2000 08:59:04
Message: <chrishuff-E9E763.07590829062000@news.povray.org>
In article <395B382C.6739148A@iname.com>, Jerome <ber### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> > Anyway, this looks like it would be better implemented as a pattern
> > waveform...it sounds like it will work for any values in the 0-1 range.
> 	In fact it works with anything in the minus infinity - plus
> infinity range, which is exactly the point since it's used
> to bring the values that are outside the 0-1 range inside
> it.

What is the exact math you are using? I am interested in adapting this
as a waveform...there are a few other patterns that could use something
like this. My blob pattern for instance.

> PS2: Does anybody know why the original noise was clipped
> rather than being scaled (like Nathan did) or any other
> continuous transform? My guess (and it *is* just a guess, I
> haven't got a scrap of evidence) would be that it was to
> ensure a reasonably even distribution (and anyway the
> clipping wasn't really a problem for the bozo pigment...)

My guess is that they didn't know how much it went out of range, and
just used clipping as a temporary workaround. Or they didn't notice it
went out of range until it was already released...it mostly shows up in
fine-tuned textures, height fields, and isosurfaces. Too bad...it has
certainly caused enough trouble since then. :-(

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/