POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : 16 bit images : Re: 16 bit images Server Time
5 Sep 2024 02:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 16 bit images
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 20 Feb 2002 11:13:17
Message: <chrishuff-E93D1C.11130320022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c733ea9@news.povray.org>,
 "Nekar Xenos" <jpr### [at] citywalkcoza> wrote:

> Maybe adding a granite normal will result in some sort of random dithering.

A surface normal could get in the way of an existing surface
normal...not impossible, but more difficult. Crand might help, but also
has the disadvantage (or possible advantatge) that it is per-object.
Maybe put an almost completely transparent sphere around the camera, and
use a fine granite texture on that. Something like:
pigment {granite scale 0.001
    color_map {[0 rgbf < 1, 1, 1, 0.95>][1 rgbf < 1, 1, 1, 1>]}
}
This might add enough irregularities to the image to scramble the Mach
bands, but not affect the appearance of the image too much. Of course,
this will slow the entire scene a little.

In article <3c72b0aa@news.povray.org>, "eric" <hol### [at] bigfootcom>
wrote:

> It seems like pov should be able to export in 16 bit color.  rather than the
> 24 that it uses defaultly.  I have spent a good deal of time working on this
> and have yet to figure out a way to do this.

As mentioned, the bands are just a result of converting the colors to
the nearest 16 bit color. POV does write to 16 bit formats, but these
will have the same problem.
The best solution is just to render and view in 24 bit mode. If you
really need 16 bit, reduce them in a good image editor which is capable
of dithering instead of straight conversion.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/