POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Mesh code : Re: Mesh code Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:10:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh code
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 24 Dec 2002 18:45:29
Message: <chrishuff-E87271.18400924122002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3e08dc58@news.povray.org>,
 "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> Actually, there is a lot more that could be done to be more (space)
> efficient in the current code...

This is true of many parts of the code, unfortunately...there's a lot of
crud and wasted computation or memory in there (non-refracting
transparency, for instance). And some parts are just painful to read...
It's certainly time for a rewrite...my recent patching (specifically new
tessellation, glow, and proximity patches) has been affecting such wide
areas of code I've been considering rewriting the shape handling to use
C++ classes myself. Only problem is that it would make my patches
incompatible with a lot of other patches and future official updates...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/