POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Height field macros - attached files (1/1) : Re: Height field macros - attached files (1/1) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 22:28:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height field macros - attached files (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 4 Mar 2001 10:36:27
Message: <chrishuff-E54193.10333004032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3AA1FF8E.8F2568B4@gmx.de>, Christoph Hormann
<chr### [at] gmxde> wrote:

> Still didn't get it totally, but i suppose you will post some code
> sometime.

What about it don't you get?

> I have never gotten acceptable results with the tesselation patch on
> isosurfaces.  I also remember that 'trace' does not work correctly on
> method 2 isosurfaces and IIRC the tesselation patch uses the same
> mechanism.

I had them backwards...it's method 2 isosurfaces that have the problem.

> The nice thing about this method is, that it would not use the actual
> object but the isosurface function.

That would only work for a limited number of isosurfaces...it could
replace some uses of isosurfaces, but it's an inexact replacement. The
macros do displacement mapping on specific objects, not an equipotential
surface. All these macros could do is basic displacements on spheres and
square patches (eventually discs, cylinders, cones, and torii), but
isosurfaces can do much more. In addition, a mesh generated with these
macros will consume much more memory.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><