POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Area_light tolerance in Pov3.1 : Re: Area_light tolerance in Pov3.1 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Area_light tolerance in Pov3.1
From: Chris Huff
Date: 9 Nov 2000 16:03:03
Message: <chrishuff-E2E915.16030709112000@news.povray.org>
In article <3A0AE8A1.97AB79F5@igbmc.u-strasbg.fr>, Nicolas Calimet
<pov### [at] freefr> wrote:

> 	I wonder why there is no possibility to define a combination
> of confidence/variance (as in focal blur for instance) when calculating
> the area_light with adaptive keyword. Maybe a single parameter could
> be also used, since in the current code the tolerance is set to 10 %.

As I understand it, area lights use an algorithm more like adaptive
antialiasing than focal blur.

> 	Also it seems that we cannot specify the maximum number of
> shadow rays to be calculated when using the adaptive method, but only
> a mimimum. Adressing these two points could maybe speed up rendering
> in most of cases, don't u think ?

The sampling parameters were probably originally intended to be set in
the scene file, this is probably just an oversight, something never
completed(like "track" in light sources, and "type" in black hole
warps). More sampling methods/parameters definitely would be useful.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><