POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Bug in glow calculation? : Re: Bug in glow calculation? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 22:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug in glow calculation?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 18 Oct 2000 06:36:03
Message: <chrishuff-E02283.05384818102000@news.povray.org>
In article <39ed6af6@news.povray.org>, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>
wrote:

>   Does "size" have any effect on rendering speed?

No, it is simply a scaling value. The calculation is always there, it
just usually doesn't do anything.

> Its description sounds like it would define a kind-of bounding sphere.

No...the "radius" keyword is the closest thing to bounding for glows.
Bounding with a sphere would probably be counterproductive...it would
probably take longer to find the intersection with a sphere than it
would to calculate the simpler glows, so "radius" does some of the glow
calculations and uses their result to decide whether to continue.

>   Well... To me "fade_power 2" looks more realistic than the default
> (exactly for the same reason that a fading light source with fading power
> 2 is more realistic).
>   So I hope you fix it soon :)

It is not more accurate, and it is very unlikely that it will be
"fixed", since it does exactly what it was intended to do. In order to
get any better, falloff calculations will have to be added to the
individual types.

>   But media is slow and requires a lot more tweaking.

If you want speed and ease of use, use glows. :-)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><